Thursday, May 9, 2013

MET Assignment

                 The museum was a great trip and I learned more then I could of imagined. The experience was very interesting and was my first time at the MET. The people there were very different then I would imagine. There was a lot of students like us but also a ton of tourists. Also there was an older crowd that seemed to be dressed well and seemed to be studying every aspect of the museum. I walked around the rest of the museum after our exhibit and was blown away by the art work, especially Van Gogh's paintings. For the Civil War exhibit it was put together perfectly. I felt extremely informed walking through each room from the injured soldiers and to the devastation of big cities in the south.
               Three photos that stuck out to me was the wounded soldiers, the ruins of a town in Richmond Virginia, and the African American soldiers burying the dead soldiers in Virginia. For America to be in shambles with whole cities destroyed is something that is hard to imagine. The war went through southern towns and they were hit hard. The people in these towns lives would change dramatically as the war came through. But these towns could be rebuilt, the lives and limbs of the soldiers could not be replaced.
              The soldiers went through so much throughout the war that was shown in the photos. One that stood out to me was 22 year old Private James H. Stokes of New York. He had a bullet hole through his upper chest. Me being 22 and from New York I would of been in the same situation as this Union private. The African Americans that were burying the dead soldiers made me realize how hard it must of been after each battle to deal with all dead friends and family members.

No comments:

Post a Comment